Mushroom and Chicken in Balsamic Sauce!
Balsamic Vinegar is one of the ingredient gems of Italian Cooking. Its sweet and tangy flavors can enhance a salad, entree or even a dessert.
I had bought a bottle of Balsamic vinegar a while ago but still hadn't used it. The bottle I got was more tart than sweet so i couldn't just pour it over salad or avocado. I had to use it in making some sauce. Recently I chanced upon few recipes which combine chicken and mushrooms in balsamic sauce and thought it was perfect timing. I had all the ingredients in my kitchen just waiting for the magic to happen.
I made the recipe gluten free and egg free by coating the chicken pieces in rice flour and pan frying them. Also I didn't have thyme so i substituted with ajwain/ova - a spice similar in flavor which is very common in an Indian pantry. The pictures may not look appealing but the flavors are awesome.
I served the Mushroom and Chicken in Balsamic Vinegar with flavored rice and pan roasted garlicky green beans for a complete meal.
- 4 chicken thighs
- 10-12 large cremini mushrooms
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup chicken stock/water
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon ajwain seeds
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt to taste
- lots of freshly ground black pepper
- 2 -3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 -3 tablespoons of rice flour
- Wash, clean and pat dry the chicken thighs and cut into desired size pieces.
- Season with salt and pepper and lightly dust with rice flour.
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil to medium heat.
- Add the chicken pieces few at a time and just cook enough to lightly brown the outer coat.
- Take out with a slotted spoon and keep aside. Some of the pieces or the coating may stick to the pan. Its okay, when we make the gravy it will add additional flavor.
- Once you are done frying all the chicken pieces, in the same oil, add the onions and garlic and saute.
- Stir in the thyme or ajwain and saute for a few minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and saute till they release some water.
- Pour in the balsamic vinegar and the chicken stock/water.
- Liberally crush some fresh pepper over the sauce.
- Add the Chicken back in the pot, and mix to coat in the sauce.
- Lower the heat and cook till the chicken is done.
- Adjust the salt and also add the sugar now.
- Serve hot with flavored rice, pasta or quinoa.