Lemony Foxtail Millets: Powerpacked Breakfast!
Breakfast is the hardest meal of the day when you turn gluten free. Somehow i cant start my day with a muffin, cereal or a smoothie. I need a savory satisfying wholesome breakfast.
Fox tail millet are naturally gluten free, very mild in flavor and soak up whatever seasoning you add to them. After being inspired by a fellow blogger, I made these fox tail millet on the lines of lemon rice/ Chitranna- a famous South Indian dish. The lemony flavor perks up the millet while the peanuts and urad dal give a nice crunch.
Millet are very filling and little heavier to digest. The quantity looked enough for one but I could only finish half of it at breakfast. Enjoyed the leftovers with my evening tea.
Serves : 1-2
- 1/2 cup fox tail millet
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1/4 teaspoon urad dal
- 1 dried red chili
- 1/4 cup peanuts
- salt to taste
- juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1 tablespoon oil
- chopped cilantro for garnish
- Wash the fox tail millet till the water runs clear.
- Boil a cup a water in a saucepan. Add millet, salt; lower the heat and cook till the millet is ready and all water has been absorbed.
- Flake with a fork and keep aside.
- Heat oil to medium in another saucepan.
- Add the peanuts and saute till they turn brown and crunchy. Remove and keep aside.
- Temper in the same oil with mustard and cumin seeds. Let them crackle.
- Now add the urad dal and red chili. Saute till the ural dal turns brown.
- Add the tempering and fried peanuts to the cooked millet.
- Pour lime juice and cilantro and mix well.
- Serve hot as a healthy power packed breakfast or snack.
Post a Comment