Aloo Paneer Poshto with a twist!
Aloo Paneer Poshto is a traditional Bengali vegetarian recipe in a new avatar. Writing a food blog has not only got my creative juices flowing, it has also inspired my daughter and husband to experiment with different flavors. This recipe has been created by my husband. And though i was skeptical at first, I now give him full credit for creating a delicious vegetarian recipe.
Potatoes and paneer(cottage cheese) are cooked in a poppy seed/khuskhus sauce flavored with cilantro and cashew nuts. This is more creamy and richer version of the humble aloo poshto. The cilantro gives a nice herbal kick.
This is a quick and easy recipe which can be whipped up when you need something special or unexpected guest arrive.
- 2-3 potatoes, chopped
- 1 cup chopped Paneer/cottage cheese
- 2-3 tablespoons poppy seeds/khuskhus
- 6-7 cashew nuts
- 5-6 sprigs cilantro
- 1-2 green chilies
- 1 tablespoon mustard oil + 1 teaspoon
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- Blend together poppy seeds, cashew nuts, cilantro and green chilies to a fine paste
- In a large saucepan, heat mustard oil till smoking hot.
- Reduce heat and add the potatoes.
- Add turmeric powder and saute till they get a nice golden hue.
- Add 1/2 cup water, close the lid and cook till almost 85% done.
- In another nonstick pan, saute the paneer pieces in mustard oil till slightly browned.
- Add the blended paste to the potatoes and coat them well.
- Add the sauteed paneer and salt.
- Cook for another 5 mins.
- Serve with your favorite flat bread or with Rice and Dal.