Orange Chicken with Orange Bell pepper Fried Rice!
Every time I walk past a Chinese Fast Food Joint in a mall, the vendors would usually call out and offer free tasting bites of Orange Chicken. I had never tasted a version of Orange Chicken in India or Malaysia so i assumed its a local favorite in North America. Finally i discovered this food craze was created by Panda Express and Orange Chicken is one of their signature meals.
I love the fruity flavors orange imparts to chicken. The closest resemblance we enjoy in India is sweet and sour chicken made with pineapple juice and tomato ketchup. I decided to try this orange chicken at home and found plenty of resources online. Its a very simple recipe which i have adapted to make egg free, corn free and gluten free.
Serves : 3-4 people
- 1 1/2 lb small boneless of chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon yogurt
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoon gluten free soy sauce
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 -3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- zest of one orange
- 1 tablespoon julienne ginger
- 1 tablespoon julienne garlic
- 3-4 spring onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1 tablespoon of tapioca starch dissolved in 2-3 tablespoons of water
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- First marinate the chicken and keep aside for at least 15-20 minutes.
- Mix all the ingredients of orange sauce and taste to balance the sweet, spicy and tangy flavors.
- Heat oil in a wok/saucepan to high to fry the chicken.
- In a plate mix the rice flour and tapioca starch.
- Lightly coat each chicken piece with this flour.
- Reduce heat to medium and fry the chicken pieces till they are almost cooked and lightly browned.
- Remove with slotted spoon on to a kitchen towel.
- In another saucepan/wok heat the sesame oil to medium.
- Add the ginger, garlic and spring onions and saute till lightly browned.
- Pour in the Orange sauce and thicken it with tapioca starch mix
- Stir in the fried chicken pieces and mix well to coat each piece with the sauce.
I serve this homemade allergen free Orange Chicken over a bed of Orange bell pepper fried rice .