Healthy dessert: Dried Figs Chocolate Fudge!
Figs/ Anjeer are very expensive fruits in India. Imagine my joy when i found a packet of these for just a couple of dollars at my local Walmart. These dried figs were from Greece and without any additives added to them. The figs were light brown in color as opposed to the black figs i was used to seeing. On reaching home, i opened the packet and tried one. They were soft and chewy and sweet. My daughter did have half of one but i realized its going to be harder to get her to eat more. I had to find a better way for her to enjoy them.
I chanced upon this recipe and was delighted that it had chocolate in it. Now my daughter is a chocoholic. I always tease her that she would even eat a shoe if dipped in chocolate. She corrected me saying that she would only lick the chocolate off the shoe. LOL!
This is an easy and quick recipe and can be made ahead of time. I served it to my guests and they all loved it, including the kids.
Serves: 12 - 15 pieces
Ingredients:20 Dried figs/anjeer (I used Greek ones)
1/2 tsp freshly grounded Cardamom powder
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 semi sweet Chocolate chips (add more to increase the sweetness)
2-3 tbsp crushed pistachios
1 tsp cocoa powder
2 tbsp Almond powder
2 tbsp Ghee / clarified butter
- Soak the figs in hot water for 2-3 hours at least or overnight
- Chop each fig into 4 pieces, and pulse it in a food processor.
- You can grind it coarsely or into a fine puree depending on your desired final texture. I ground it into a coarse paste.
- In a non stick pan, heat the ghee to medium, and add the fig paste.
- Saute till all the water evaporates.
- Next add the dark brown sugar. Keep stirring till they mix well and come together like a lump.
- Sprinkle cardamom powder followed by the almond powder. Mix well.
- I added some cocoa powder to give a darker hue to the mix.
- Switch off the heat and add in the chocolate chips.
- Quickly stir it so that the chocolate melts into the fig mix.
- Check for the sweetness. Add more chocolate chips if needed.
- Grease a square 8x8 inch pan or line it with parchment paper.
- Fill the pan with the chocolate and fig mixture and flatten it with the help of a flat spatula.
- Sprinkle with crushed pistachios. Press them gently so they stick to the fudge.
- Let it cool to room temperature and refrigerating it for a few hours before serving.
- At the time of serving, cut into squares or any desired shapes.
- Enjoy and share this healthy dessert with your family and friends.