Gluten Free Egg Free Chocolate Cupcakes!
I made these chocolate cupcakes for my daughter's rainbow themed birthday party. This recipe is gluten free, egg free and corn free. These cupcakes also freeze well. Recipe adapted from here.
3/4 rounded cup sorghum flour
3/4 rounded cup potato starch or tapioca starch
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon xanthan gum or guar gum
1 cup warm milk* (not too hot or it will make the starch gluey)
1 tablespoon Ener-G Egg Replacer beaten with 1/4 cup warm water
3 tablespoons canola oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon light tasting rice vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a 12-cup cupcake pan with paper liners.
- Whisk together all the dry ingredients.
- Add in the milk, egg replacer, oil, vanilla and vinegar.
- Beat the batter for a full two to three minutes until all the ingredients are incorporated and the batter is smooth.
- Plop the batter into the paper liners till they are almost 3/4 full.
- Bake in the center of a preheated oven till done- about 20 minutes or so. Test with a toothpick.
- Cool the cupcakes on a wire rack (don't let them sit in the baking pan too long or they'll get soggy).
- Frost when completely cooled. I used simple buttercream frosting and fresh fruits.
Note : Most icing sugars have cornstarch added into it. If you have issues with corn, like us, use a different brand which has tapioca starch (found at whole foods or other health food stores)
*This recipe can easily be converted vegan by replacing the milk with coconut or almond milk.