Gluten Free Chicken Nuggets - 2 ways!
Like every kid born in this era, my daughter too loves going to McDonald's. Sadly she couldn't eat anything there. Most of the times, we would order a happy meal just for the toy and chocolate milk. With time she grew tolerant to the French fries. But the nuggets was what she pined for the most. I always thought the nuggets tasted pretty bland but to her it was ultimate food.( i guess the grass greener on the other side syndrome) After much internet hunting and trials, this recipe finally passed the test. I prepared it two ways - fried and baked. She loved them both and we all agreed it was so much better than any fast food joint.
- 1 pound boneless chicken cut into small chunks (my butcher cut them into uneven pieces, try to have them uniform, helps with the cooking)
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1/2 cup crushed Rice Krispies (any brand cereal - I used Kellogg's brown rice)
- Oil for frying
- Pulse onions and garlic in a blender to make a paste.
- Marinate chicken with this paste, yogurt, salt and pepper.
- Keep aside for 30 mins.
- Add the rice crispies into a sandwich bag and crush them gently with a rolling pin. Take 2 plates- in one add some rice flour and another the crushed crispies.
- When you are ready to fry, first roll each chicken piece in rice flour. Shake off excess. Coat with rice crispies crunch. Prepare all chicken pieces the same way.
I wanted to try making them in 2 ways - baking and frying
Preheat oven to 400F. Grease a cookie sheet. Arrange all chicken pieces on a single layer.
Bake for about 20 mins or till done.
Heat oil in a wok. Fry the chicken pieces at medium heat till chicken gets cooked and the crust is golden brown. Make sure not to over heat the oil or else the crust would turn brown before the chicken cooks.
Enjoy these gluten free chicken nuggets as a snack or meal. I bet you will never eat nuggets at any fast food joint again.
Post a Comment