Beet Greens Stir Fry!
I have always loved Beets more of their deep reddish magenta hue than for its taste. But that's because I have had it only raw in salads. Recently I learned how to roast them and a whole new world of beet recipes emerged. I have made them into beet dips, beet hummus, beet chaats (Indian tangy snacks), beet dalna (stir fry). I even roasted some neat beet chips.
This time around I pushed my curiosity further and bought some beets with their greens too. I am working on adding more greens to my diet and kind of tired of spinach, methi(fenugreek) and kale. These turned out to be a breeze to cook and tasted awesome.
Serves: 2-3 as a side
- 1 bunch of beet greens
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- salt and pepper
- Wash the beet greens well. Pull out the leaves from the stalks.
- Chop the stalks into one inch pieces. Roll up the leaves into a log and chop into ribbons.
- Heat a saucepan to medium and melt butter in it.
- Temper with cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
- Add in the chopped onions and garlic and saute for a minute.
- Now add in the stems only and a dash of salt and let them cook for a minute or two.
- Lastly add in the greens and salt and pepper and cook till the greens are done.
- Serve them as a delicious side to your meal.