Goat Meat Rice Noodle Soup : Fusion Recipe!
Last week was my daughter's first attempt at tasting Vietnamese food. We dined at the Pho Mi 99 outlet close to our home. We were pleasantly surprised to know that most spring rolls and noodles are rice based in Vietnamese cuisine. All the dishes served were fresh and flavorful. The service was very prompt too.
We ordered a shrimp roll for her which had rice noodles, lettuce and shrimps all rolled into a rice wrapper. We didn't give her the dipping sauce as it looked soy sauce based. For me, I ordered Chicken rice noodle soup and my curry loving husband ordered Panang Chicken Curry.
My daughter who is usually averse to soups, had one spoonful of the broth and was hooked onto it. She had discovered a new love. We playfully fought over each spoonful of the flavorful broth. Watching her struggling and then mastering the technique of picking up the slippery rice noodles with chopsticks and slurping them down was another delight. It was an engaging, fun food experience for her which she enjoyed till its last drop of soup. And with that came big comments - This was the best meal ever! ; Mom you have to make this at home! ; When can we come back here again?
Well, her wish is always my command! I tried to recreate the same flavors in my Indian Kitchen with Goat meat/mutton. Verdict: She loved it so much; having it for lunch and dinner.
To make broth:
- 1 lb boneless goat meat pieces/mutton
- 1/4 cup onion, roughly chopped
- 2 large cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1/2 inch ginger, chopped
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 4-5 cloves
- 5-6 peppercorns
- 1 star anise
- 1 teaspoon salt
- rice noodles
- green garlic, chopped finely
- salt to taste
- Put all the ingredients to make a broth in a Pressure cooker/large saucepan with 2-3 cups of water and cook till the meat is done.
- Remove the meat pieces from the broth.
- Strain the broth to get a clear liquid.
- Boil the rice noodles in water till done as per the package instructions.
- To assemble the soup, ladle big spoonfuls of broth into your soup bowl.
- Strain the rice noodles and add to your broth.
- Taste and flavor with more salt if needed.
- Shred the goat meat pieces and add to the bowl.
- Garnish with chopped green garlic.
1. You can replace green garlic with scallions/spring onions.
2. Also you can add blanched vegetables like carrots, broccoli.