Maple Pedas - Sugar Free Dessert!
Pedas are Indian desserts traditionally made out of freshly reduced milk solids. They are sweetened with sugar and flavored with saffron, gulkand(rosejam), mango and nuts to create different varieties.
I experimented by infusing the khoya with Canadian maple syrup to create an Indo Canadian fusion dessert.
This is an easy 2 ingredient, sugar free dessert which can be put together in a jiffy.
Makes: 5 pieces
- 1/2 packed cup of khoya/mawa/condensed milk solids (available in any Indian store)
- 2.5 tsp Canadian maple syrup
- I used store bought khoya. If using fresh homemade khoya, you could skip microwaving it.
- Grate the khoya finely in a bowl.
- Microwave for just about 10 sec to warm it up so it softens as it starts releasing its natural fat.
- Add the maple syrup one tsp at a time and knead the khoya till it becomes soft and pliable.
- Shape into desired forms. I rolled it into a ball. Flatted it with little pressure and then pinched the edges to form a star.
- Serve as it or refrigerate and eat later.
- It stays good for about a week if it last that long.
This is a healthy, easy dessert which can be made anytime and served for any occasion.